Info for guests
If there is no water in the taps, the main switch is probably turned off. The switch is located in the porch, just inside the front door, illuminated by an orange light. Switch it on to switch on the water. The switch should usually be left permanently on, even after departure from the cabin.
Note that there is a "secret" water tap for providing water to the dishwasher. This tap is located in the kitchen sink, in the middle of the base of the sink taps. If the tap is turned vertical then the dishwasher water is off and dishwasher will not start. If the tap is turned horizontally, then the water is on. Generally this tap should always be left switched on, there is no need to ever turn it off. Some guests turn it off by mistake through not knowing what it is.
Ski and bike storage
Skis and bikes can be stored in the cellar. The cellar can be accessed from the outer door at the back of the house, on the lower ground floor. The front door key also opens the cellar.
Skis can be waxed in the cellar. There is a waxing stand, as well as power sockets for a waxing iron. The cellar can be accessed from the outer door at the back of the house, on the lower ground floor. The front door key also opens the cellar.
E-bikes can be charged in the cellar. Use the extension cables provided. The cellar can be accessed from the outer door at the back of the house, on the lower ground floor. The front door key also opens the cellar.
The cellar can be accessed from the outer door at the back of the house, on the lower ground floor. The front door key also opens the cellar.
The municipal garbage truck comes Monday mornings. It comes every week during peak season, which is calendar weeks 35-40 and 48-18. During off season it comes on even weeks only. The bin for collection is placed under the tree in the middle of the front drive, near the road. Should this bin be completely filled during a stay, a second bin can be taken from the cellar. Please return the second bin to the cellar after emptying.
Paper, cardboard, metal, and glass can be taken to the nearest recycling bins at Sivulantie 8, next to the fire station. These materials, and additionally plastic, can be taken to the recycling bins in the supermarket carpark. Expired batteries can be deposited inside the supermarket.
Heating is primarily via electric underfloor heating. Room temperature can be adjusted via the thermostats on the walls. Press the up and down buttons to increase or decrease the temperature respectively. By default the living areas are set to 21°C, the bathrooms to 23°C, and the bedrooms to 20°C. Set the desired temperature and wait for the change. Note that changes in temperature happen slowly and this can not be sped up by selecting a higher temperature.
The air conditioning takes fresh air from the outside, filters and warms it, and pushes it into the the living rooms and bedrooms. It also extracts air and moisture from the toilets, bathrooms, and kitchen. The conditioning is centrally controlled from a panel on the wall in the hallway. There are two buttons, one for the fan speed, and a second for the temperature. For normal quiet operation it is best to leave the fan speed at the lowest setting. Only increase it temporarily to clear excess humidity or odours.
To prevent smoke entering the cabin:
1. IMPORTANT: Fully open the chimney damper before burning. This is located above head height, on the left of both fireplaces. Pull the knob out to open.
2. Turn air-conditioning down to lowest fan-speed. Controller is on the wall by the noticeboard.
3. Don't use the kitchen extractor fan while starting a fire. Before using the extractor fan for cooking, always slightly open a window or door. Do this even if a fire is not lit otherwise air will enter via the chimney and the cabin will smell sooty. Remember to close the window or door again afterwards.
4. Immediately before starting a fire, press once on the "Fire start vent" switch at the bottom of the stairs in the basement. This will increase cabin air pressure for 15 minutes thus forcing air up the chimney. This is only effective if all windows and doors are closed.
5. Fully open the airwash vents to "III" while burning. These are located immediately above the fireplace glass windows. This reduces soot buildup on the glass. Close fully after burning to preserve warmth.
6. When starting the fire, fully open the bottom vent, located next to the floor. Adjust this according to burn rate and chimney draw once the fire is well established.
7. Firewood is stored in the large box on the outside porch. Warm logs burn better than cold ones, so bring them in early. If there are no more firelighters, use silver bark peelings from the logs instead.
8. Close damper and all vents after fire has completely burnt out, and also when departing at the end of your stay. This will preserve heat within the cabin.
9. Don't burn fires if small children are staying in the cabin. The glass gets extremely hot and can cause severe injury to little hands.
10. In an emergency, call 112. In case of other problems, SMS/WhatsApp to James at: +49 177 7838 574
Fire wood is stored in the red box immediately outside the main front door. If the box is empty, or nearly empty, please send an SMS or WhatsApp to James, the owner, to request a refill: +49 177 7838 574
There are three sets of gates, one for each floor of the cabin. If required, these need to be installed by guests themselves on arrival, and deinstalled on departure. The gate for the upper floor is usually stored in the baby cot. The gate for the middle ground floor is usually stored in the cupboard in the porch. And the gate for the lower ground floor is usually stored in the utility room under the stairs. Instructions for installation and deinstallation are found here: annelika.com/gate
There is a high chair for babies and toddlers. This is usually stored in the lower ground floor, in the utility room under the stairs. There is a second identical high chair stored in the cellar.
There is a baby cot on the landing upstairs. Mattress, duvet, and pillow are provided. Sheets must be brought by guests themselves, or requested extra from the cleaning service.
There is free WiFi/WLAN available. The connection name is "Välinivantie 5" and the password is "hotramen".
The kitchen oven only works after clock time is set. If the clock is blinking, this means it needs setting. This usually only happens after a municipal power cut. Use the plus/minus buttons to set the time. After selecting the correct time, wait five seconds for the setting to be locked.
Microwave oven clock
The clock on the microwave oven blinks when first connecting power and it's on a 12-hour clock. Press "Start / Quick" once to switch to 24-hour clock. While door is open: Rotate dial to set hour, press "Start / Quick". Rotate dial to set minutes, press "Start / Quick". Shut door.
The cabin is equipped with a number of smoke alarms. If one of these starts to regularly beep even if there is no smoke, it probably means the battery needs replacing. In this case please contact the owner or the cleaning service to request replacement.
The cabin is equipped with three carbon monoxide (CO) detectors, one on each floor. If one of these starts to regularly beep despite a CO reading or zero, it probably means the battery needs replacing. In this case please contact the owner or the cleaning service to request replacement.
Before switching on the cooking ventilator, it is recommended to slightly open a small window. Otherwise air will be drawn into the cabin via the fireplace thus causing a smell of smoke.
Cleaning service: YlläasAvain
Phone: +358 40820 3970
Owner: James Pearn
SMS/WhatsApp: +49 177 7838 574